Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Tennessee teachers stage fake gunman attack

  1. #11
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tennessee teachers stage fake gunman attack

    The main problem was that the faculty should have made better preparations, and at least, informed the students this was a drill. If this can be done, I am all for these "drills" at any educational level.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tennessee teachers stage fake gunman attack

    I also agree that they should let the students know in advance and to practice these drills because this day in age they need to know this stuff. Nobody can say anymore, "Well it will never happen here" because truth is it can happen anywhere.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tennessee teachers stage fake gunman attack

    I have zero problem informing them it was a drill. Granted, the effect may be a little different, but a drill still outlines the what to do/how to do its in a situation like that. I think that the timing issue of this makes it worse.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  4. #14
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tennessee teachers stage fake gunman attack

    I have several thoughts on this and they are conflicting. I believe that students and teachers need to take school safety issues more seriously. Most people are not willing or capable to think "outside the box" when preparing for the worst case scenario. It is hard to duplicate the real-world stress and fear that would accompany an emergency situation. Most adults and students would never think to question a stranger in a school, when that is exactly what they should do. Anybody who isn't a familiar face has got to be considered a threat in any situation. I can't tell you how many people I have PO'ed because I made them walk around to the front of our school like they are supposed to or told them to go back to the Main Office to pick up a Visitor's badge. On the flip side, when kids go through all the drills, they get used to what is expected of them. They have no idea whether it is a drill or real-world. They just do what they have been taught. The calming effect is that they react and act according to standard operating procedure and if all goes well, they don't know if it's a drill or for real.So, did these kids have prior training in a field trip enviornment? I would much rather have a parent upset about this type of scenario than one where somebody who was lax or negligent in procedure allowed a stranger into the building or checked out a student without proper ID or authorization. There are lessons to be learned from this situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •